Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Old Habits

20130313-213840.jpg
It used to be that I was required to read certain books. Certain books like; Modern Political Thought, America's Mid-Life Crisis, or Jihad: The Trail of Political Islam. Like iffy set-up dates, I would never know if the books would be boring or a pleasure to get to know. This literature was all fine and well, but it made me realize that I forgot the books I liked to read for pure enjoyment. Since graduating college, I would get lost in the masses of books at my local library. So, I started using the NPR reading list as a guide. While that list is not too shabby, and led me to The Happiness Project, I still find myself searching for a good book. I browsed crickety, old book stores and fancy, leather couch book stores and picked a few with vivid covers and catchy titles, but those were simply mediocre. 


Then, I listened to the Bird and his lyrics of Fatal Shore spoke of the tragic reality of the unspoken, barely written, Australian history. It peaked my interest. Before I knew it the 603 page book, Fatal Shore, by Robert Hughes, was sitting on my couch waiting for my gaze and anticipation.  This will be a long bonding experience, but hopefully we will enjoy each others company.

So far, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment