Saturday, May 19, 2012

The answer is...of course!

One year ago Jared proposed to me at the top of Mt. Diablo. I still can't believe we're married sometimes and everyday I am so happy he asked. For our one year engagement anniversary we bought a couch from Ikea and later that night ate at Casa de Cobre in Saratoga. I had a great time and wore a great outfit (I have a wonderful mother-in-law) - it was perfect.



P.S. I loved being engaged. Your worries are solely on wedding things and you're happy and crying almost all of the time (right, Carol?). Here are some of my favorite engagement pictures that inspired me:









In the spirit of romance (and using this blog as a pseudo-journal) I hereby unleash my entry describing the day he proposed:

"Thursday, May 19: He took me up to Mt. Diablo and we had a picnic. It was around 6pm and the sun was drifting slowly so there was still light, but we could count on a sunset. He prepared everything; fruit salad, sandwich materials, potato salad, and water. He wore his salmon shirt, “nice pants,” and brown, secretly polished shoes. I had a busy day at work and barely thought about our picnic. I thought that morning that Mt. Diablo was a great place for a picnic and I better wear something work/picnic appropriate. I chose the blue, polka dot dress and black sweater. He picked me up from work, I ranted about the intern and my boss and finding a billion homestays for Chinese students. He pulled into the gas station, I paid, then complained about gas prices. We swerved through traffic and made the casual drive up the mountain only almost hitting about fifty bikers. A day pass was bought (he pretends to be rebellious and law breaking, but he’s pretty honest). We parked, walked along the path with  a Trader Joes bag  full of preparations and me carrying the puffy black and tan blanket. It was a bit windy and doing my bangs that day was pointless. We laid out the blanket, the spread, and our bodies – everything was lit gold by the sun. Eating, kissing, looking at the horizon and the hills, commenting about our day, etc.

He had a funny look.
“What’s up?”
Smiling.
“Yeah?”
The Speech.
He pulled a box out of his pocket.
I looked away.
“Mackenzie, look down.”
I couldn’t. I did. “Holy crap.” Look away. I hugged him.
He opened the box.
Words. “Will you marry me?”
Silence, Tears. Shortness of breath that sounds like breathy laughter. I hugged him. “Of course!”
More hugging.
He puts it on my finger.
I’m not even shaking or nervous. Surprised, definitely surprised.
I thought the ring was perfect. Yellow gold, small diamond, not gaudy, simply perfect.

I can’t believe we’re getting married. He told his parents the next day, but I thought I would wait till Saturday when I would see my mom at the temple for Dolly’s wedding. No one knew and it was our secret for all of Thursday.

Jared and I are engaged. I love him. I adore him. He is mine and I am his forever and eternal."

Photos: Nouveau, 100LayerCake

3 comments:

  1. Awe that is so sweet! I love Happily ever after's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I got the chills reading this. Loved it! You guys are perfect for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  3. um, my eyes just welled up after reading this recounting of your engagement. sweet bliss!

    ReplyDelete